Hiring a professional to install your Time Warner Cable® Internet service can make the process fast and easy, but there are also plenty of advantages to setting it up on your own. Self-installation can be pretty simple if you’re comfortable with technology and know your way around a computer, and TWC offers a streamlined Easy Connect Kit that makes the process even faster.
If you’re trying to decide whether to hire a professional or install your Internet yourself, read through this guide to get a better idea of what to expect from each option.
If your residence already has an accessible, working cable line, the process of a professional installation will be quick and straightforward.
1. Set up an appointment
You’ll need to contact TWC to make an appointment with a professional installation technician.
2. Allow the technician to set up your Internet equipment.
The technician will arrive in the predetermined time window, set up the modem and even offer to do a more involved activation. You will have to confirm the appointment when the technician calls, and you should also ensure that either you or another adult with valid photo ID can be present for the entire installation. Renters may also be asked to provide proof of landlord approval before the technician will run any new cables or wires.
- Simplicity: If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of figuring out a cable modem’s firmware or moving your furniture around to get to those wall outlets, a professional installation will simplify that process significantly.
- Troubleshooting Assistance: A professional will be able to solve any potential problems and will ensure that your Internet service is running effectively. You won’t have to worry about any technical issues or other problems. A technician can also help with more complex networking needs, including connection configuration and software installation.
- Installation Fee: TWC charges a one-time installation fee. Because this cost differs depending on your region and the equipment being installed, you’ll need to contact TWC directly for a specific quote for professional installation.
- Scheduling: A professional installation requires that you set a specific time for the installation. Because the appointment is usually scheduled in a certain window of time, it may be inconvenient to remain available for the duration of the projected time.
If you’re considering doing a self-installation, the process will be more involved than with a professional installation.
1. Order your Easy Connect Kit
When ordering online, eligible plans automatically opt in for an Easy Connect Kit. You should make sure that the option is selected before confirming your order.
2. Receive your equipment package
You can pick up your Easy Connect Kit at a local TWC store or opt to have it shipped to you by mail. If you choose the mail option, the package should arrive 2–5 business days after the order is placed.
3. Set up your equipment
Every kit should contain your cable modem, connection cables, an Easy Connect Guide, and some additional accessories. Follow these steps to ensure a smooth installation:
- Locate your cable wall outlet, and run your coaxial cable from the outlet to your modem’s “In” socket. If you have a cable set top box, use the included cable splitter to run a separate cable to both your modem and your set top box.
- Connect your computer to your cable modem with an Ethernet cable. Most desktops should have an Ethernet port on the back of the case, and many laptops will have an Ethernet port on the side of the body. If you’re using a wireless modem and have subscribed to TWC Home WiFi, you won’t need to connect anything with an Ethernet cable.
- Plug your modem’s power cord into the back side of the modem and connect it to a wall outlet.
- Make sure that the light on your modem has turned on before proceeding. You will need to activate your modem before you can connect to the internet.
4. Activate your equipment
There are two ways to activate your TWC Internet service.
- Online: In order to activate your modem online, you’ll need to log in to TWC’s Easy Connect website and select “Manage and Troubleshoot Services.” Navigate to the “Troubleshooting” tab and select “Internet.” Under the “Activate/Connect Modem” option, click “Reset My Modem.” Your cable modem should now be activated.
- By Phone: Call TWC’s automated phone line at 1-877-309-5869 in order to activate your modem by phone. After verifying your account with your phone number, say “Activate my Modem” when prompted. Follow the instructions given and the phone system will walk you through the activation process.
After activation, your Internet service should be up and running. You can now connect to the Internet and configure your WiFi network.
5. Configure your home wireless network
Configuring your TCW WiFi™ will ensure that each of your devices can connect to the Internet.
- Open your Web browser and connect to 192.168.0.1 from your address bar. This will navigate to your modem’s firmware.
- Log in with the default username and password. While these can differ between manufacturers, the default username and password are usually “admin” and “password,” respectively. The username and password may also be written on the bottom of some modems. Contact your modem’s manufacturer if you have difficulty finding the correct default login information.
- Click the “Wireless” tab to configure your WiFi settings. You can rename your WiFi by changing the value in the Network Name (SSID) field. You should also change your password, which is located in the WPA Pre-Shared Key field.
- Try to connect to your WiFi with any of your wireless devices to make sure the connection is up and running.
If you run into any problems at any point during the setup, consult the troubleshooting section of the included instruction guide or contact TWC directly.
- Speed: Self-installing means you can skip the hassle of setting up an appointment with TWC. You can get online as soon as you finish installing your cable modem, and you can do it on your own time and according to your own schedule.
- Cost: By self-installing, you can avoid the one-time installation fee and save yourself a few dollars. While it does cost some of your own time to install the service, the time investment is negligible.
- Setup Flexibility: You can install your cable modem wherever you feel is best. You’ll also be able to take your time configuring things in your home to make sure you get a strong signal in every room.
- Limited Guidance: If you run into any networking problems beyond those covered in the installation guide, it can be difficult or impossible to fix the issues without the help of a professional.
- Kit Accessibility: The TWC Easy Connect Kit can be picked up from any TWC Store location that has kits in stock, but availability may be limited depending on demand. If you don’t have a store close by, the kit will be shipped to your address. It can take up to five business days for your cable modem to arrive, which may be longer than you want to wait.
Self-installation isn’t for everyone — if you are a technophobe or dislike dealing with the ins and outs of cable modems, you’ll be better off footing the installation fee to hire a professional. If, on the other hand, you have some basic experience with technology and an inclination towards DIY projects, opting for the self-installation option will save you both time and money.
If you’re ready to go forward with self-installation, order a Time Warner Cable plan and pick up your Easy Connect Kit today.