Most Popular Dating Site by State (MAP)
Which Online Love Connection is Your State Falling for?Love is in the air and it’s apparent online, where an increasing number of singles find their next date virtually. Cupid’s arrows hit the target in online dating apps, which have seen triple the users in recent years. At highspeedinternet.com, we wanted to speculate about which platforms get used most often to find partners in each state, and if any patterns emerged in our collective search for the perfect match. What did our quest for dating data uncover? Niche apps that focus on demographic factors like religion, gender, or lifestyle are on the rise and trending heavily in certain parts of the country. We expected to see wide areas of Tinder country, where swiping right is part of the single life. And it’s true that Tinder peppers our map from sea to shining sea. But the unexpected winner of our virtual lonely hearts club? Christian Mingle, a faith-based dating site, dominates the Bible Belt. Unfortunately, experts have long observed that higher divorce rates also reign across the same sections of country, so perhaps Christians are mingling a little too much. Ahem. To identify the most popular dating app, we utilized Google Trends data and isolated apps and sites that had statistically significant popularity in each state.
|Alabama||Christian Mingle||Faith-Based Profile Matching|
|Alaska||Tinder||Gamified Dating App|
|Arizona||Tinder||Gamified Dating App|
|Arkansas||Farmer’s Only||Rural focused dating|
|California||Coffee Meets Bagel||Ladies choice dating|
|Colorado||eHarmony||Traditional Profile Match Site|
|Delaware||eHarmony||Traditional Profile Match Site|
|DC||Hinge||FB friends Dating App|
|Florida||Senior People Meet||Senior-focused dating|
|Georgia||Christian Mingle||Faith-Based Profile Matching|
|Hawaii||Grindr||Gay dating app|
|Idaho||Farmer’s Only||Rural focused dating|
|Illinois||Tinder||Gamified Dating App|
|Indiana||Grindr||Gay dating app|
|Iowa||Farmer’s Only||Rural focused dating|
|Kansas||Christian Mingle||Faith-Based Profile Matching|
|Kentucky||Christian Mingle||Faith-Based Profile Matching|
|Louisiana||Cougar Life||Older women focused dating|
|Maine||Tinder||Gamified Dating App|
|Maryland||eHarmony||Traditional Profile Match Site|
|Massachusetts||Senior People Meet||Senior-focused dating|
|Michigan||Tinder||Gamified Dating App|
|Minnesota||eHarmony||Traditional Profile Match Site|
|Mississippi||Lulu||Women centric dating|
|Missouri||Christian Mingle||Faith-Based Profile Matching|
|Montana||Plenty of Fish||Traditional Profile Match Site|
|Nebraska||Farmer’s Only||Rural focused dating|
|Nevada||Grindr||Gay dating app|
|New Hampshire||Match.com||Dating community|
|New Jersey||Bumble||Women first dating|
|New Mexico||Grindr||Gay dating app|
|New York||Happn||Location based dating|
|North Carolina||Christian Mingle||Faith-Based Profile Matching|
|North Dakota||Match.com||Dating community|
|Ohio||Tinder||Gamified Dating App|
|Oklahoma||Farmer’s Only||Rural focused dating|
|Rhode Island||Tinder||Gamified Dating App|
|South Carolina||Christian Mingle||Faith-Based Profile Matching|
|South Dakota||Match.com||Dating community|
|Tennessee||Christian Mingle||Faith-Based Profile Matching|
|Utah||LDS Singles||Dating for Mormons|
|Vermont||OKCupid||Traditional Profile Match Site|
|Washington||Tinder||Gamified Dating App|
|West Virginia||Farmer’s Only||Rural focused dating|
|Wyoming||Zoosk||International Dating App|
Let’s do a deep dive into the data, shall we? We’ll determine exactly what the state of dating is in the United States and which apps have a little something more to say about the state that loves them.
- The South is way into Christian Mingle, choosing to keep the faith in online romance.
- Western parts of the United States are down with more casual hook-ups like Grindr, Down, and Tinder.
- The Northeast kicks it old-school with traditional profile sites like eHarmony, com, OK Cupid.
- Midwest states keep it in the country by dating with Farmer’s Only.
- All across the Bible Belt, Christians can’t resist getting together with Christian Mingle.
- Mormon couples opt to find the perfect connection in Utah with LDS Singles.
It’s all About the Ladies
- As one of the states with the top 5 best paid leave and wage equality ratings in the U.S., New Jersey knows that ladies’ choice Bumble is the only way to find a sweetie.
- Mississippi women, who have the highest percentage of registered women voters in the country, know what they want and they aren’t afraid to ask LuLu for it.
- Louisiana ladies are living the Cougar Life with the second highest percentage of registered women voters.
- With some of the friendliest paid leave policies and a smaller than average wage gap, it’s no surprise that California is hungry for Coffee Meets Bagel.
A Few Other Favorite Findings
- Wyoming cruises the dating scene with Zoosk, an international dating app. While Wyoming still has a fairly low immigrant population, it’s seen one of the largest rates of immigration growth in the US, up 33% from 2000–2011.
- D.C. is all about who you know (nudge, nudge. wink, wink), so it’s no surprise their favorite app, Hinge, makes connections between Facebook friends.
- Montana is a renowned fishing locale, and their obsession with Plenty of Fish is no secret.
- With one of the top 5 oldest median ages in the United States, Florida’s residents definitely need Senior People Meet. But the oldest median age in the U.S. by far? Maine, who is still setting romance on fire with Tinder. Keep on with your bad self, Mainers. Age is just a number.
Does your state’s dating app obsession seem like the perfect match? Share our map and discuss. But no fighting, kids. Only love. Sweet, sweet love.
Author - HSI Staff
Kaz is a writer, blogger and social media junkie. She uses her tenacity to investigate the best of the Internets.